Sunday, July 6, 2008

Dinner Party

My dad just set this blog up for me. I have to admit for a long time it has been a mode of communication that I have been essentially opposed to, the digital noetic killing decent writing and all that. But, it is nice to see pictures I took up on the internet. These photos are from a last supper I had at my mom's house in Raleigh, NC. My brother, sister, father, mother and aunt were all in attendance, and there were far fewer tears shed than I had expected. Tomorrow, I head to Philadelphia for my "staging" event for the Peace Corp before I am deployed to Mali for my two years of service.
I'm a little nervous. My french is horrible and I managed to lose my passport and my credit card in the matter of two days. This could be seen as a bad omen, however I'm staying positive. Perhaps, this is simply my subconscious shedding my material possessions so that I can more easily integrate into my new reality in Mali. More likely, I have been indulging in the some of the sweet fermented fruits of American life too much and am some how being disciplined. Either way I depart with a light heart and lofty aspirations.

1 comment:

Mike Dayton said...

Double D: Please post early and often.

Pops