Saturday, November 15, 2008

Cold Season

So it's really not that cold. Although the other night I did put on the Irish wool sweater I brought until a constant stream of sweat finally confirmed that it was probably around 65 degrees out. It must be said though that the break in temperature has been quite refreshing. There are now, for instance, moments in the day when I'm not sweating.
A lot has happened since the last time I wrote. We had a fun little Halloween get together in San, a smaller city in Segou region. The night was a constant battle for ipod priority, as the PCVs found themselves divided into too musical camps. Those who really enjoying the deep bass lines, vulgar lyrics, and gyrating hips of gangster rap and those who are more interested in doing that awkward white person running-in-place dance move, shaking cropped hair to Bowie or the Talking heads. I'll let y'all speculate on which side of the fence I was sitting on and actually how often I was forcing my music taste on others. All it all it was fun and eventually everyone was united into a "pants-off-dance-off." Oh yeah and Obama is our new president! Righteous. I headed to Bamako with a few friends to watch the election and had a great time drinking coffee and watching t.v. all night.
In other more African sounding blogging, things have been great at site. I'm almost done with the entire Harry Potter series, which is quite the escape from speaking Bambara all day. I just jump into the wonderful world of magic. My garden was going really well, it liked my urine, until I left for the Halloween/Election break and my deaf neighbor watered it to death. I do assume this is probably a better death for a plant though. Especially since the alternative results in scorched leaves, crusted earth. I'm in Segou for a few days doing my first proposal for project funding. It is not my own project but instead and extension of the previous PCV's. Essentially a small grant is given by Millenium Challenge, the American organization here to boost Mali's food production and development, to purchase quality garden seed in Segou to sell up in Sokolo. The Malians seem to have a hard time pooling money for a venture such as this, but it does appear that the last project is quite effective and perhaps sustainable. The Bambara is coming along quite well, but I've finally eaten all the toh I can. The play dough consistency finally did my appetite in the other night when I attempted to force some down when I was feeling a bit nauseous.
Well until another time. Hope all is well.

2 comments:

Mike Dayton said...

Big D,

Thanks for the update. A dance-off and all-night coffee sounds like a fun time indeed!

Pops

r2d2 said...

Hi Double D

Tried to call on cell.
Didn't go trough.
Will try again.
Keep on smilin'

Uncle Rob